5 Recommended diets for women with PCOS
PCOS can be hard on you. But with the right kind of diet, you can feel good inside out. Before learning about the diets, let’s first get brief information about what PCOS is…
What is PCOS?
PCOS or Polycystic ovary syndrome is a prevalent hormonal problem for women of childbearing age. Symptoms of PCOS might include no ovulation, a higher level of androgens, and multiple small cysts on the ovaries. PCOS is also associated with an irregular menstruation cycle, excessive hair growth, weight gain, and obesity.
Women with PCOS have to be very particular about their diet. Among many other diet restrictions, high refined carbohydrates, sugary snacks, and inflammatory food are prohibited for women suffering from PCOS.
PCOS can be rather difficult to manage. Thus, doctors and nutritionists suggest women with PCOS pay special attention to their diets. We elaborate below on some suggested diets.
Top 5 diets to help PCOS:
- Overnight Oats - Overnight oats can be a go-to morning meal for women with PCOS since it is considered high in fibres content. It supports digestion and keeps the bowels regular. Enriched with beta-glucan and insoluble fibres, oats improve stool transit time. Overnight oats also reduce LDL the bad cholesterol and increase HDL, the good cholesterol. Apart from the mentioned benefits, Oats are also a source of energy since it contains Vitamin B6. It is essential for ovulation and progesterone levels, improves insulin resistance, stabilizes blood sugar levels, and reduces fatigue. Oats also help in keeping good mental health. Overnight oats promote serotonin level that helps manage depression and anxiety. Another cool thing about overnight oats is it is effortless to make. On top of that, you can complement it with the ingredient of your choice. For example, you can create a perfect morning overnight oat with milk, honey/jaggery, and cinnamon powder. Overnight oats will give you a rejuvenation boost and make you feel good inside & outside. If you are wondering where to get the best quality overnight oats, grab one for yourself at https://miheso.in/collections/overnightoats and get nutritious and delicious overnight oats.
- Whole Grains and proteins - A balanced meal is a prerequisite for women with PCOS. A diet with the proper amount of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, fibre, and water is a balanced diet. Statistically, a diet should contain 50% carbohydrates, 30% proteins, and 20% fats. However, our modern lifestyle has led us to consume more carbohydrates and lesser fats and proteins, causing an imbalanced diet. Since portion control is a critical diet aspect for women with PCOS, they should keep a check on their diet.
- Green Vegetables - There are some valid reasons why we were told to eat healthy, fresh, and green vegetables as kids. Green leafy vegetables are particularly good for women with PCOS since it maintains a healthy amount of blood sugar for a longer time. Green leafy vegetables provide the immunity to deal with sugar surges in the body. The anti-inflammatory components of green vegetables like phytochemicals, vitamins, and antioxidants are additional benefits that can help women suffering from PCOS.
- Almonds & Walnuts - The optimum balance of monounsaturated fats in Almonds and Walnuts helps in reducing free testosterone levels and balances female hormones. Coping with hormonal imbalance is crucial for women with PCOS because it is one of the main factors of PCOS. Almonds and walnuts also help women deal with acne, hair fall, and excessive facial hair, which are a few of the main features of PCOS.
- Green Tea - It is a well-known fact that green tea helps in maintaining metabolism. Green tea is rich in antioxidants that reduce insulin resistance and testosterone in women with PCOS.
The Bottom Line
Adopting a healthy diet and an active lifestyle are key to getting relief from PCOS and leading a healthier life. From replacing your morning sugary caffeine with green tea to choosing spinach over red meat, you can benefit from a healthy lifestyle in many ways. Diet suggested above is ideal for anyone to maintain good health. So, perceive it as a motivating factor, fix your food and lifestyle, and feel better inside-out.